Clarissa recently put up some pointers for the study of history, things to remember and questions to ask:
Things to remember when reading, watching or researching history:
Questions to ask:
- Who is the author?
- What do I know about this author? Country of origin, political affiliation, profession, etc.
- How does this knowledge about the author change my understanding of his or her text?
- What is the goal the author is trying to achieve with this text?
- What kind of data is used to support the author’s conclusions?
- What kind of attitude does the author have towards the readers of the text?
- What are the central concepts that organize the author’s thinking about this subject?